I've Got DiSpirito

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Stroppy Sheilas

I've been reading this book called Adventure Divas for the past few weeks and I've really been enjoying it. The author, Holly Morris, is a journalist who tours the globe with a crew of women looking for women (or divas) of action, women who are changing the world. The best part of the book, to me, is how Holly brings to life all of the places she visits. I can't wait to see the actual footage of her trips and interviews, which I plan to get on dvd soon.

Here is one of my favorite excerpts for a chapter about her visit to India:

"In Cuba, you hear something before you see it; in Borneo, you feel it before you see it; in India, you smell it before you see it. Diesel exhaust. Crushed marigolds. Smoldering cow dung. Old hot cooking oil. Milky chai. And always, incense. The smells of India swirl around us. 'We'll need to make a scratch-'n'-sniff film to do this country justice,' notes Julie, handing me a chai."

I think the writing is excellent. Current chapter: New Zealand. A little Haka, anyone?

2 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

I THOUGHT YOU SAID YOU UPDATE THIS EVERY NIGHT!

shame on you.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Did you realize that you sat down with me the other night and literally read your past blog entries to me?

Wow.

Maybe next time you can bring all your old photo albums and you can go through all those with me.

:D

I kid, I kid...

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home